Notepad++ is free software that allows easy editing of configuration files for your server.
The NppFTP plugin adds functionality for browsing, downloading, editing and uploading text files for your server.
This guide will explain the installation and usage of the plugin to improve your server management experience.
- Installing Notepad++
- Installing the NppFTP Plugin
- Configuring the NppFTP Plugin
- How to Use NppFTP
- Configuring Notepad Tab settings for YAML files
- Further Reading & External Links
Download Notepad++ from the official website and follow the installation process.
Installing the NppFTP plugin
- Download the NppFTP plugin from the Sourceforge site: Plugin download
- Extract the
.zipthat you have downloaded.
- Open Notepad++.
Some users may need to run the program as an Administrator for the following steps to work correctly.
- In the toolbar at the top of Notepad++ select
- Navigate to the download location and find the
binfolder inside the extracted download.
- In the Notepad++ toolbar click
Pluginsand check that
NppFTPis in the list.
If you do not see it then close Notepad++ and reopen it with administrator permissions before repeating the process
Configuring the NppFTP plugin
- From the menu:
Show NppFTP Window.
- In the NppFTP panel, click the cog icon and choose
- Click the
- Enter a name for the profile and click
- In the
Profileslist, highlight the name of the profile you entered.
- In the
Connectiontab enter the
Passwordfor your FTP connection.
You can find those details in your Multicraft control panel by following
FTP File Access.
How to Use NppFTP
- Click the blue
Connecticon and choose the name of the profile you made.
- NppFTP will attempt to connect to the FTP server and return a directory listing in the right hand window.
- Double click a file to download and open it in the editor.
- When you save a file, NppFTP will automatically upload it to the server for you.
Configuring Notepad++ Tab settings for YAML files
By default pressing the
Tab key in a YAML file will insert a tab character.
However YAML uses a double space rather than a tab and this can cause issues when your server attempts to read the files.
Follow these steps to make sure that the files can be read correctly by your server.
- In the Notepad++ toolbar select
- In the list on the left highlight
- Scroll down the list on the right under the
Tab Settingsheading and select
- Uncheck the
Use default valuebox.
- Check the
Replace by spacebox.
- Click on the number next to
- In the box that appears, change the number to 2 and press enter.
- Click the
Checking for errors in YAML
Stickypiston offers an error checker for yaml and json files right in Multicraft. To use it follow these steps.
- In the main Multicraft server window ( Where the IP, Players and Memory Usage are displayed ) click on
Filesin the left hand menu.
- Click on
Descriptionboxes to search for your config file and click on it to open.
- Beneath the text editor that opens there is a
- Errors will display below this button with a short description of what is not working and the line number in the file that causes the problem.
Further Reading & External Links
Whether you own a Server with StickyPiston.co or don’t, we are always happy to help with any technical issues you may be having. Open a support ticket with our team and we will be in touch.
Open Support Ticket